Monday, April 15, 2019

I Made Some Tables



I made tables. For a while I have been looking for some sort of small tables or shelves and got tired of settling and decided to make them myself. Have I ever made a table? No. But, damn it, I have a power drill and an amazing amount of belief in myself even when I shouldn't. I first went to the hardware store to get some wood. Turns out they have free scraps of it in a bin. I was handed two one foot squares. I also had a leg I was gonna cut but ended up not using it.


Turns out you need a saw. I bought a hand saw, used it for a second, and realized this would not work. I ended up buying a box of wood pieces from Amazon which worked great. At the hardware store I also got this Zar brand honey maple wood stain. I sanded the table top down to get rid of the splinter and even things out a bit.


I did all of this sitting on the edge of my bed. The sanding, screwing (giggity!), and staining (double giggity!). I ended up staining it about three times to get it to an amount of dark that I wanted. I desired it to be as close to color as the IKEA shelves I also have. I plan on staining the newest one one more time to get it a little darker. I love the way these came out and would love to try and make more stuff in the future. The total price of everything like the screws and stain was about nine bucks. The wood tops were free. The wood from Amazon was nine bucks but if I had a saw I would have grabbed more free wood and cut it myself.


No comments: